Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Five

This week's questions brought to you by Eva, my darling sister, the apple to my pie, the steak to my hamburger, etc. Yep, inside joke. I love you, dear and wish Texas wasn't so far away.  


1. What is your favorite first line from a book?
I have a couple, but I'll just mention one:
"There was a white horse, on a quiet winter morning when snow covered the streets gently and was not deep, and the sky was swept with vibrant stars, except in the east, where dawn was beginning in a light blue flood."
Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin


2. Imagine you had to live somewhere you could never leave. Would you rather live in a submarine or a tree house?
Ooh this is hard because a submarine is mobile but a tree house is, well, not underwater. 
But I can never leave?
Nope, still going to go with the tree house. Especially if it looked like this:

Or any of the ones found here.




3. If you could have an exotic animal for a pet, what would you choose?
an elephant, hands down. next question?


4. Who would you rather see as president: Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber?
I'm not sure I'd want to see what kind of world we'd live in if those were the choices, however, I'd have to say the Biebz. Even though he's Canadian-born and therefore not allowed by the Constitution to run for president, in this fantasy situation, it probably doesn't matter. He seems...less likely to become embroiled right away in a personal life scandal that would take his attention away from running the country. Not that it wouldn't happen to him too, but I feel like it would take longer. 


5. If the house was burning down, what 5 items would you grab, regardless of size?

  • Bible
  • Camera
  • Recipe binder
  • Favorite pair of TOMS
  • my pet elephant, of course





Thanks for the questions, sis! And for the rest of you, feel free to submit questions in the comments below or answer these ones yourself!


Happy Friday!

7 comments:

  1. 1. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." -Pride & Prejudice. I choose this not because of the quote (whoops, I guess I'm not answering the question), but because it is the beginning of a wonderful book!

    2. I definitely agree about the treehouse. It would be much easier to have visitors in a tree house too!

    3. A dolphin. or a monkey. boy, that's harder to answer then I thought.

    4. Basically you're asking if I want to hear promises of being one less lonely girl or a party in the USA. I'm going to go with the Biebz as well, because Miley's voice is annoying.

    5. this is hard to answer when I'm looking at your answers, because besides the pet elephant, I totally agree. I would probably grab my external hard drive for pictures instead.

    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when caught by her charm as the Tarleton twins were."

    2. I'd have to go with the tree house as long as it's not too far off the ground. Submarine would probably exacerbate my claustrophobia too often.

    3. This one's hard for me because I'm so not a pet person and I can't stand strong smells of hair or animal or poo. I know, I know- I'm probably being too realistic, I should just go with it...A dolphin?

    4. I don't know enough about Justin Bieber to really make an educated decision on this one... But I think I'd have to go with Miley, b/c I'm guessing her Dad would probably be a close advisor and someone who's written a country song like Achy-Breaky Heart would have to be good at running the country, right?!

    5. Aaron, Chloe, Mateo, Camera, Hard drive full of photos (What am I gonna do if we have more kids?!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." I think I cheated.

    2. How is this a difficult question?! Who would want to live in a submarine?! I'll take this one please: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/culturepicturegalleries/5971766/New-treehouses-of-the-world-by-Pete-Nelson.html?image=5

    3. Polar Bear.. altho I don't think I'd be able to feed it baby seals.

    4. I'd rather be blind than see one of them as prez.

    5. bible, thumb drive, bin of my grandparents' letters, snowboard, and i suppose i would have to grab bryan away from the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1: I have multiples...
    "Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." (HP and the Sorcerer's Stone, JK Rowling);
    "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,
    it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness,
    it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity,
    it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness,
    it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair,
    we had everything before us, we had nothing before us,
    we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct
    the other way--in short, the period was so far like the present
    period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its
    being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree
    of comparison only." (Tale of Two Cities, Mark Twain) In fact- take a look at what follows- how great is it?! "There were a king with a large jaw and a queen with a plain face,
    on the throne of England; there were a king with a large jaw and
    a queen with a fair face, on the throne of France. In both
    countries it was clearer than crystal to the lords of the State
    preserves of loaves and fishes, that things in general were
    settled for ever."
    And this one: "Amergo Bonasera sat in New York Criminal Court Number 3 and waited for justice; vengeance on the men who had co cruelly hurt his daughter, who had tried to dishonor her." (The Godfather, Mario Puzo.)
    2:I'm with you on the tree house.
    3:Exotic pet? I just want a dog. Plain Old Ordinary Loving Dog. Thanks.
    4: Ditto the above
    5: I'm glad your elephant makes the cut. I'd like to say 'this' or 'that'... but I'd likely grab what I could as fast as I could and flee. I'm afraid I'd leave the important stuff and end up with my vitamins or something...

    so- here are some questions: Your favorite last line of a book.
    Your most indispensable electronic gadget. How many things do you have with rechargeable batteries? What is the most luggage you ever took on a flight?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ack- I meant for number 4: Ditto what the lady above me said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here are some questions...
    Who is your favorite civil war "personality" and why? Is your dream man more of a Mr. Darcy or a Mr. Bingley (brooding opinionated intellect or bashful gentle fool-in-love type)? Which reality TV show would you audition for (Bachelorette, Survivor, Amazing Race, or Hell's Kitchen)? Are you really going to grad school, and where?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What was your favorite make-believe scenario when you were a child?

    Is flossing overrated? Why?

    Assuming you stay 100% safe and healthy throughout, where would you prefer to travel: India or China?

    What would you miss most about the internet if you woke up tomorrow and it did not exist?

    E-reader or book?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you're thinking! Thanks for the comment love. :)

 

design + development by kiki and co. creative