Monday, November 15, 2010

Mo Money, Mo Problems? NAY.

November seems to be the month for causes. Everywhere I look it's "National doing something Month". A lot of them are quite useless, but there's one in particular that is doing good for the world. Proof that social media can help social activism: I present to you my cousin George.

Everybody wave now.

He's good at letterpress, carrying a conversation, and growing beards. Right now he's putting his facial follicles to use for Movember, a joint effort between the Prostate Cancer Foundation and Livestrong to raise money for prostate cancer research.  He's growing a mo (mustache, for all you plebs) in an effort to raise awareness and money to this end. And he's doing great, almost $500 raised! 

This affects everyone, whether or not you have a prostate or facial hair. As a female, it would seem odd that I'm speaking out now and not last month (National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, anyone?) but I don't think I'm far off to say that Movember is far less widely supported.  Both are equally important on the spectrum of cancer causes, but I'm just trying to do my part to get this one on your radar too. Also, I have always secretly been jealous of my male friends and their excellent beards. 

So. If you have a moment, go check out George's Movember page. If you can, donate. If not, do your part to spread the word. 

In the meantime, I'll be over here growing mustaches with the help of Photoshop. 


And a good day to YOU sir.

2 comments:

  1. you're rockin that stach. also, I agree with you, some organizations get more publicity than others. glad you're sharing the love.
    p.s. random childhood memory: neighbors came over to play, I answered the door with a Barbie in my hand, got embarrassed, and blamed it on you. I'm still sorry for that. it was my idea.
    much love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahaha love it, though that has nothing to do with mustaches. no need to apologize, you do every time you remember that day. but SEE IF I PLAY BARBIES WITH YOU AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you're thinking! Thanks for the comment love. :)

 

design + development by kiki and co. creative