Friday, August 7, 2020

Ten Things I'm Thinking About Right Now (Besides the Pandemic, the Election, What it Means to be an Ally to BIPOC, and Climate Change)


1. Normally I dress like an Eastern European potato farmer but today I am wearing a button down with lemons printed all over it and I feel like walking sunshine.


2. Freckles are so weird. Like why do some people get them and others don't? I've noticed, particularly this summer, the tops of my arms are absolutely peppered with freckles and the undersides are smooth and pale, with one or two dots. I can't help but wonder what it would look like if my whole body was as white and unmarked as my stomach, which has never seen the sun. Then I picture myself like a rotisserie chicken, stuck on a spit to become evenly browned. Though I suppose that's an ungracious way to describe a tanning bed, which already exists. 

People without freckles/overt sun damage to their skin, do you acknowledge your privilege and how it has impacted your life? *presents microphone*


3. Am I too old to (re)learn how to rollerskate? Do I have the courage and good enough health insurance?


4. Flowers. I am never NOT thinking about flowers. In a world where I am independently wealthy, I move out into the country and start a small flower farm, selling cut flowers at farmer's markets and doing small-scale floral design, documenting the whole thing on social media (naturally). Right now in particular, however, I am wondering if I can coax the newly planted clematis to cover the chain link fence in my backyard.

Grow, my precious. Wrap your spindly green arms around the links and blossom. Help me pretend I live the lifestyle that can afford more attractive fencing.


5. People who listen to music loudly without headphones are public enemy number 2 and must be stopped. (Public enemy number 1 is, obviously, people who refuse to wear masks in a global pandemic.)


6. At lunch I saw a girl across the parking lot with a really cute skirt on and I was like, I am coveting that skirt, it is so cute. And then I looked down and realized I was wearing the same skirt, so, great taste, me.


7. What song can't you get out of your head right now? For me, it's Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart". It featured in my dream last night. I was getting married to Justin Long--yes, the actor-- and I walked down the aisle lip-syncing it. So much to unpack there but that's for me and my therapist.


8. I like to window shop online (who doesn't?) and sometimes I come across things that I can't believe are for sale, like who in their right mind would spend $55 (that's on sale even!) on a dried seed pod from Anthropologie for decor?  Speaking of, will someone else look at this insanely overpriced beach umbrella and tell me you see "testes" printed all over it too?


9. I miss Freedom. This time last year, my whole family was there, maybe for the last time. I think part of me felt it as we drove away. Did I appreciate it enough? I'm glad there are so many things in life to remind me of my heart home--- hollyhocks growing by a fence, a cool foggy morning, the sound of Papa's voice...


10. Thank goodness for the weekend. I've been house and dog-sitting all week and I'm looking forward to my own bed. Also, I miss my plants. They don't need to be let out to use the bathroom at 5:30 in the morning.  But I also can't take them on walks, so...


HEY THANKS FOR READING, I LOVE YOU.

2 comments:

  1. Love love love loved reading this. You’re the coolest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. You’re great. I miss Freedom too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what you're thinking! Thanks for the comment love. :)

 

design + development by kiki and co. creative